G-AHIZ A tiger moth that flew at Panshanger from 1949-58 and returned for the last flying day on Sep 14th 2014, with Chris Hodson the son of the Gordon, who flew it at Panshanger in the early ‘50s

 

 

Panshanger airfield (EGLG) was run by North London Flying school

 

The flying school ran many events throughout the year from evening talks to aerobatic days , fly-ins and (their biggest event) the revival day in August with vintage cars and planes. The firework night was a great event as well. There was an excellent café (out of the Box) that was open to both flying and non flying members (who numberred over 15000) including  local walkers and cyclists. NLFS also had links to local universities and schools and sometimes organised flights for charity groups such as SMILE, where private pilots offered free flights.

The Flying school wasvery active, with a large number of pupils and around 8 instructors at any one time. Tuition was given at PPL, IMC  and Instructor level as well as trial flights.   They had 10 (Piper Alpha) club planes and around 25 private planes based there, including several  aerobatic planes.  Maintenance and fuel was also available.  Aircraft  Owners were very welcome to fly in for pleasure or business meetings in the north London and Hertfordshire area and many did. 

 

Panshanger was an essential aviation sport facility in the north of London, which cannot be replaced locally.  The other overstretched airfields in the region cannot easily cater for this demand now Panshanger is closed.

 

Panshanger Past

 

Panshanger Airfield (originally called Holwell Hyde) was created in 1940 as a decoy airfield for the De Havilland Production plant at Hatfield and subsequently became a wartime training field.  After the war, the land was purchased by Nat Somers  (whose widow, Phyllis, still owns the land) and continued as a working airfield. In the 1960s and 70s, large parts of the original airfield were sold for housing, but a single grass runway survived. For a while a Cessna construction and  sales business (for which the main hanger was constructed) ran from Panshanger.  In 1993 the North London Flying school took over the lease and is still running the airfield.

 

The following website gives  some of the history Holwell Hyde Heritage